Mile High on the Cheap
Your local resource for Denver freebies, discounts and deals Waterproof Hiking Backpack
So it snowed…again! Despite the snow-packed roads and slippery sidewalks, for many, this is an excuse to go sledding. Even if it is just down that narrow median in front of your home, you can get sliding. Maybe you’re one of the lucky few with a store-bought sled and the envy of the sledding hill crowd.
If not, don’t despair. Coloradans are famous for their ingenuity when it comes to makeshift sleds. Our friend Jody Mace at Charlotte on the Cheap (a Southern gal, go figure) has come up with 17 DIY options.
Read her list and then look around your house. Likely you’ll find something that doubles as a sled. We can’t vouch for the effectiveness or safety of these techniques. Use your judgment.
Keep in mind that anything you re-purpose for a sled will probably get ruined and no longer be able to serve its original purpose. But it’s worth it, right?
What have you used as a makeshift sled? Leave a comment!
1. Fast constructed sled: This Instructables page shows how to make a fast sled from a cardboard box, a trash bag and (of course) duct tape.
7. Tarp (especially if the snow is icy and hard)
9. Dog bed. Ask your dog first, and then wrap it in a trash bag with duct tape.
11. Trash can lids (not the roll-out kind, obviously; you can’t tear those up)
12. The old standby: cafeteria tray. Although you might not have one in your house.
13. Trash bags. Here is an informative WikiHow article on how to sled with trash bags. (Bring spares.)
Posted by Laura on January 18, 2023 | Updated January 17, 2023 Filed Under: Sports & Recreation · Things To Do
Join 25,000+ other bargain hunters and sign-up for our FREE daily e-newsletter.
Waterproof Hiking Backpack © 2023 Mile High on the Cheap. Living On The Cheap® and On the Cheap® are registered trademarks owned by Living On The Cheap Inc. Site design by Five J's Design. All the stories on our site are protected by copyright and any unauthorized copying is strictly prohibited. Plus, it is just not nice.